Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"One Friday Morning",by Langston Hughes

As I started reading One Friday Morning, I honestly did not expect the ending to be the way it was. It took me by complete surprise. I guess I should have seen the foreshadowing; like when Hughes makes it clear that Nancy Lee was not seen as "colored" and that even she forgot she was sometimes.

I am sure you all read it and know what happeed so I dont need to go into great detail about the story. It basically deals with an exemplary art student, Nancy Lee who wins the scholarship of her dreams. She keeps it a secret from everyone and the only others who know are her art teacher and her vice principal. She fits in very well in her school and is very involved with academics and sports as well as Art of course. When she found out about her award she was asked to prepare a speech. She writes a very inspiring and patritic speech aboout the American dream and how lucky he feels to say the pledge of allegiance every day. She describes how lucky she feels to have such huge opportunities in this country and how grateful she is for the fairness in it. The day of her speech infront of her entire school and mother comes. She is very nervous and excited and glowing from cheek to cheek. Suddenly she is called into the vice princpals office and is given bad news. Unfortnately the Artistic Club took away her scholarship and decided to find someone else to give it to. The reason of this was the fact that she was colored. They didnt believe having a colored student at their school would go smoothly with the others. She was in schock. She had just written a speech about the exact opposite of what these people had done to her. It was ironic, she felt betrayed and confussed. Her vice principal agreed with her in every way. She didnt let her lose her pride. She adviced her to keep fighting for her rights and she would help her too. Nancy Lee was very sad but she was determined to make a difference to help others to not have to go through what she went through

I was deeply touched by the words her vice principal said to her. The last three paragraphs in the text make me want to go out and start a revolution. I am not even sure for what but I could sure find something. It was really inspiring for me to read this. It was beautiful. At first I really thought this was going to be about analyzing some other piture, but it certaintly wasnt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it funny how you thought we would anylize another picture, but I really liked this essay. Nancy did not deserve the judgment passed down upon her, and her speech was mostly patriotic and humble. Her principal did help her alot and she was a good woman, very good essay, thank God it wasnt another picture, haha

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very well write by langston hughes and thanks for posting. I really need one friday morning langston hughes story ideas for making my research papers.

Mary J Tran said...

The thrilling news did not come directly to Nancy Lee, but it came in little indirections
that finally added themselves up to one tremendous fact: she had won the prize! But
being a calm in dissertation help service and quiet young lady, she did not say anything, although the whole high
school buzzed with rumors