Sunday, February 4, 2007

Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother"

In this article the author proposes different views over the 6 very powerful pictures Dorothea Lange took of a woman and her three children during the depression of 1920.

She gives several different views about her motives for taking the pictures and justifications for doing so. Some of her examples(people) wrote about how they think she had the people pose every picture and it was all fixed up and fake. While others argued the sincerity and genuine motives she had.

In my opinion she took the pictures to inform the outside world of what the real situation was during the depression. To keep these pictures alive for generations to come. To learn from mistakes and not repeat them in the future. To be greatful for what we have and dont ever doubt it could all disapear in a second. I think her pictures are very powerless, yet at the same time they are art and everyone will interpret them and view them differently. There is no right or wrong answer once pictures go public. The author must deal with the critisicm.

The pictures were very touching and sent weird feelings down my spine directly into my soul. I had seen the main picture before many years ago and have always been affected by it the same way.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

I love the way you used the repetition of to...... it really emphasised your point and I agree that the pictures were touching.

alisonbillo said...

I agree...I got those same weird feelings down my spine too :)