Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Language of Pictures

This article is about how pictures convey messages and their different purposes. It makes sense that the more important fiugres and objects will be given more light and attention in the picture and will have a background that will not overpower the main point. I agree with photographer Minor White when he said " I don't take pictures, I make them." I find myself doing the same thing. I always position objects and ask people to rearrange in certain ways in order for my pictures to come out the way I want them to. I think photographers hold such an important role in society and this article reminded me of it. Photographers sell things, report news and keep us updated, let us see things we wouldnt otherwise and make us aware of social issues. They really make a difference and influence society in huge ways. They persuade us and invite us to do things we would have not known exsisted. By reading this article I learned important aspects to understand pictures. These aspects are the space in a picture, the effect of the light, how the background contributes to the picture, and the relation between humans with nature and their opposites. This article has helped me to interpert pictures more and find more meaning and depth in them.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I agreee that pictures are created and made not just taken. We all seem to create our pictures and think about putting certain things in the picture to tell the story we want....whether it be with happy faces or no light, they both have a big impact on the way the finish product would look.